FAQs About Mold Odor
The mycotoxin released by mold can give your home a musty odor that is annoying. The good news is that you can remove this smell from your home and clothing, leaving you with a fresher scent.
Why Does Your Home Smell Musty?
Your home smells musty because mold or mildew is releasing a mycotoxin into the air. This distinctive scent can be enhanced by:
- Lack of ventilation
- High humidity
- Extensive mold growth
What’s the Difference Between Mildew and Mold?
Mold and mildew are different things that both release mycotoxin when they grow. Mildew, the more common culprit, grows flat against a surface and can generally be treated at home, while mold will be raised and needs to be removed by a mold cleanup company.
How Does Mold Affect Your Home?
When left untreated, mold can cause serious damage to the structure of your home. This is because mold eats the organic materials it grows on. Therefore, any wood or other structural materials will slowly start to disappear as the growth eats it.
How Do You Find the Source of the Smell?
Mold and mildew are the likely cause of the musty smell, so you need to be on the lookout for them. You can often see them growing in small patches. The best thing to do is to perform a thorough inspection of the most likely areas. These include your bathrooms, kitchen, bedrooms, living room, attic, basement, and garage.
What Do You Do if There Is Mold on Your Clothing?
While mold in your home in Dorothea Dix, NC, is a problem, it can be even worse when there is mildew on your clothing. After all, you don't want to walk around smelling musty. Thankfully, washing the affected clothing with vinegar will remove the smell.
Musty smells can happen anywhere, and you need to know how to react. The key step is to identify the infected area so you can hire a mold remediation professional to take care of the problem.